Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bejeweled Twist play it now!

Well last nights launch started very flat with a slide show of facts and figures I nearly switched of the broadcast. Not the greatest introduction but then finally the show started and watching with me was a marketing expert with 10 years experience. I loved the effort they had gone to with the launch and the potential for a really well executed marketing stunt, however the show tried to be funny but dragged it heels. Saying that though I have to realize that I was watching a web broadcast and not a professional camera team. So of course it actually could have been a lot better in real life.

The best bit and worth the wait was the video and game demo. On the plus side full marks for effort with the production its a great way to a lunch a new game. But clearly they are great game designers and not great marketeers or TV show producers. But then casual games have never really needed good marketing to date. But you have to start somewhere and so the bar is raised.

The new game looked amazing and I was wondering how it was going to feel will it actually be that different.

Having just played the game it really is genius as its so simple what they have done. The crucial thing is you can always make a move and you start to plan a head I loved the experience, the power ups are fun and I can see the fans really going for it and new players being attracted. I love POPCAP for not trying to do too much with the game engine they have given the fans what they wanted. If you love match 3 then its the next level.

And It made me smile as I actually designed a match 3 game 2 years ago using a very similar twist mechanic.

Well done POP CAP team no need for the Kaching machine this time its success is inevitable.

No comments: